Useful Housing Links and Resources

Forms for Providers

  • Lease Agreement or Tenancy Agreement can be in writing or verbal. If a tenancy agreement is in writing it should be in proper legal form. This is a free Residential Tenancy Agreements from Consumer Affairs Victoria.
  • Bond Application Form must be used if you charge a Bond. You must complete a Bond Lodgement Form and lodge it with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority within 10 working days of receiving the bond.
  • Condition Report – If you are charging a Bond a Condition Report must be provided to the tenant on the state of the property or the room they are renting.

Forms and Fact Sheets for Students

  • Property Inspection Checklist - Each time you inspect a rental property, complete this checklist. It will help you compare properties before you put in your application/s.
  • Applying for a rental property - This Fact Sheet explains things you should consider before and during the search for your next rental home.
  • Subletting - This Fact Sheet explains what you need to do if you are transferring lease arrangements to someone else.
  • What do I need to know before moving in? – here’s a helpful Fact Sheet about things you should do before moving into a new share home or private rental.

External Housing Assistance

  • Consumer Affairs Victoria is the governing body responsible for the Residential Tenancies Act. Consumer Affairs Victoria can provide tenants with information, advice and a dispute resolution service.
  • Tenants Union of Victoria provides information to inform and educate you as a tenant about your rights and how to improve your conditions. They produce Publications in multiple languages and provide free and confidential telephone, drop-in and email advice.
    • Tip - You can also contact the Tenants Union of Victoria and Consumer Affairs Victoria for further information and assistance before you sign a lease or if things go wrong during the lease.
  • The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria (DSCV) provides a free mediation service to help resolve disputes. Phone DSCV: +61 3 9603 8310

Rental Publications

Smartphone App

Download the Consumer Affairs Victoria Rentright App for important information and tools to help you manage your tenancy.

International Students Help

Study Melbourne Student Centre was set up by the State Government of Victoria provides information, support and advice for international students about living in Melbourne.

Government Support

  • Rent Assistance provides financial help if you are paying rent and receiving a Centrelink payment. Eligibility criteria apply.
  • Utility Relief Scheme offers support if due to temporary financial crisis you are unable to pay your utility bills. Open to Australian Residents, eligibility criteria apply.
  • No interest loans scheme provides loans without fees or interest to low income earners. Loans can generally be used to buy essential household items.
  • You may be able to borrow money through a Bond Loan Scheme if you are on a low income and can't afford to pay the bond for a rental property. Eligibility criteria apply.
  • The Housing Establishment Fund (HEF) may be able to help with financial support if you are homeless or in a housing crisis. Eligibility criteria apply. For advice on HEF call 1800 825 955.
  • MoneyHelp is supported by the Victoria and Australian Governments and offers help if you are struggling with bills, debt and ongoing expenses.

Saving Money

  • Environment Victoria has tips on how to reduce your environmental impact when renting.
  • Moneysmart provides a useful budget planner and a track my spend app to help with managing living costs.
  • Your Choice is a Victorian Government initiative set up to help you find the most affordable energy provider.