Frequently asked questions


How does the Melbourne Polytechnic Off-Campus Accommodation database work?

The Melbourne Polytechnic Off-Campus Accommodation database operates as a listing agent. Providers can list their accommodation offer at no cost.

Offers of accommodation must comply with relevant statutory acts and regulations including the Equal Opportunity Act.

Students looking for housing can access the database for free.

Melbourne Polytechnic staff do not inspect properties or recommend one provider over another and does not match or place students with offers of accommodation.

Students must contact the providers and all negotiations are between the student and the provider.

How do I advertise a vacant room or property?

You'll need to register as a provider first. It should only take you a minute or two.
Once you've done that, just click "Add a listing" and fill out the form.

How do I relist a previous offer?

  1. Locate the listing to be reactivated from your dashboard.
  2. Click on the 'relist' link.
  3. Click on 'available from' box and enter the date the property is available from.
  4. Select the 'preview' box and make any changes that you want.
  5. Select the 'OK, submit this listing' button.
  6. Once approved by Melbourne Polytechnic you will receive a notification email.

Please note: Relisting may not always be approved, depending on availability of advertising space.

What is the approval process for listing on the database?

All advertisements are reviewed by Student Services prior to being approved for the database. We aim to check and approve listings within 72 hours of the accommodation being offered.

How long will my listing remain live on the website?

Each listing will be live on the Melbourne Polytechnic Off-Campus Accommodation Database for up to 28 days. Melbourne Polytechnic reserves the right to remove advertisements if the database is at capacity.

You will receive an email prior to the listing’s expiry date, at which stage you will have the option to relist the offer of accommodation. (Please note: relisting may not always be approved- depending on current availability of advertising space.)

If you lease the room or property prior to the expiry of advertisement please log back into the service to remove the listing. Updating listings helps to ensure the database retains only current listings.

How do I remove my listing once I've filled my vacancy?

Please remember to close your listing once you have found a tenant/flatmate. You must remove your listing within 72 hours of filling your advertised vacancy.

If listings are not closed and left open, you may still receive many calls and emails about your property. During our peak period, when there are many students seeking accommodation, this can be quite disheartening for them as it gives them false hope of available accommodation.

To remove your listing simply:

  1. Log in to your Dashboard.
  2. Once in your Dashboard, you should see your listings. Click on the listing you wish to close
  3. On the heading (it should read something like 'House, Test Road'), you will see two links: Edit and Close. Click on the Close link.

I've previously advertised a property, how do I add another property?

As you are already registered simply log in. On your dashboard, click “Add a listing”, complete the details. An email will be sent to you once this listing has been processed by the Student Services.

What do I do if I’ve forgotten my password?

You can recover their own password by clicking “Forget your password?” on the sign in page. This will send an email to your registered address with a link. Once you click this link, you'll be taken to a page on the site where you can choose a new password.

What are students looking for?

Most students seek accommodation that is close to their campus, or that has good access to public transport. Offers from surrounding suburbs are usually popular, but some students do choose to live further away from campus if they have their own transport.

Price is often a big factor for students, so cheap accommodation is generally popular. Offers that are considered to be expensive for the area might not generate many student enquiries.

Types of housing students may look for include:

  • Share House - for singles and couples - room with use of household facilities
  • Rooming Houses - (where four or more individuals rent room or share a room) and share the common facilities
  • Vacant properties to rent - houses, flats, units, self-contained bungalows and apartments
  • Commercially operated Student Apartments and Hostels - furnished apartments & serviced hostels

When do Melbourne Polytechnic students look for housing?

The peak times are the months leading up to the commencement of the academic year – January and February and for the mid-year intake in June and July and there are always students looking to change their housing at any given time.

Where are students looking for housing?

How can I make my listing appealing to students?

    Preparing your listing -

    • Include photos. Our database has a minimum requirement of one photo for each listing, but you can include more photos. Photos will give students a visual preview which can help to promote particular features.
    • Provide the option of furnishings. Generally, students prefer a furnished room.
    • Use your preferred and most available contact details. E.g. phone and/or email.

    What to include under details -

    • Description of others that live at the residence (e.g. would be sharing with student, family, couple etc.).
    • Details about the culture. e.g. whether it is a quiet or noisy house etc.
    • Description about whether pets are allowed and if there any pets currently at the property.
    • Special features (such as large backyard, own bathroom, wi-fi, large bedroom, undercover parking etc.)
    • Arrangement for expenses (e.g. cost of electricity, gas and water included in rent)
    • The location in relation to public transport and the campus.

    How much should I charge for rent?

    Melbourne Polytechnic is unable to provide advice on the pricing of individual listings. We do recommend that you have a look at similar listings on the off-campus accommodation database and external rental websites. This will help you to assess the features in your accommodation against other comparable properties.

    If you find you are receiving a low number of enquiries you may like to reassess your rental price.

    How much Bond can I charge?

    If you charge a Bond, you must complete a Bond Lodgement Form and lodge it with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority within 10 working days of receiving the bond. You must also provide the tenant a Condition Report on the state of the property or the room they are renting.

    Rental properties - usually a maximum equal to one month rent

    Residents on a Rooming House Agreement - a maximum equal to two weeks rent.

    Tenants, co-tenants and sub-tenants on fixed term leases - a maximum equal to portion of one month rent.

    Visit the Consumer Affairs website for more information.

    Do I need to enter into a lease agreement with the tenant?

    A tenancy agreement, also called a lease, can be in writing or verbal. If a tenancy agreement is in writing it should be in proper legal form. Free Residential Tenancy Agreements are available from Consumer Affairs Victoria.

    Where can I get a copy of tenancy forms and publications?

    Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) is responsible for administering the Residential Tenancies Act (1997).

    CAV has rental information and copies of relevant forms such as the residential tenancy agreement and the condition report. CAV publications are available in many languages.

    Visit Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) online, phone 1300 558181 or visit CAV at 113 Exhibition Street, Melbourne.

    What is a Rooming House?

    A Rooming House is a building in which one or more rooms are used by four or more people who are on an individual agreement (written or oral) and paying individual rent for a room (or shared room) in that building.

    Rooming Houses must be registered with the Local Government authority and meet health, building and safety regulations.

    Rooming Houses must have prescribed amenities and meet prescribed standards under the Residential Tenancies (Rooming House Standards) Regulations 2012.

    The premises must be administered and residents afforded their rights and obligations under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997.

    For more information regarding Registration of a Rooming Housing, contact the Local Government authority where the building is located.

    See Consumer Affairs Victoria for information for Rooming House operators and copies of prescribed forms and guides.